Re: [irs-discuss] IRS Problem Statement Posted

Susan Hares <susan.hares@huawei.com> Wed, 01 August 2012 18:09 UTC

From: Susan Hares <susan.hares@huawei.com>
To: Nitin Bahadur <nitinb@juniper.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 18:06:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.245.173]
Cc: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@juniper.net>, James Kempf <james.kempf@ericsson.com>, "irs-discuss@ietf.org" <irs-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] IRS Problem Statement Posted

Nitin:

Thanks for the agreement.  The real challenge is how to fit the middleware into the needs of application and network layer.  Framework, architecture, design steps have fascinating challenges that build on the 30+ years of distributed and centralized networking algorithms.

Two things often forgotten in these models are security and mobility.  In the DC & VM-aware world, we cannot skips these two items.

As a side note,  John Day in Patterns of Networking - suggests that all of networking can be viewed as middleware. For in the end - we are multiplexing application traffic over some media.  Networks exist to provide service to applications.

Sue
[love this discussion!]