Re: [lmap] What is broadband?

Henning Schulzrinne <Henning.Schulzrinne@fcc.gov> Fri, 08 March 2013 23:16 UTC

From: Henning Schulzrinne <Henning.Schulzrinne@fcc.gov>
To: 'Shane Amante' <shane@castlepoint.net>, James Miller <jamesmilleresquire@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 23:16:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [165.135.229.64]
Cc: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "Bugenhagen, Michael K" <Michael.K.Bugenhagen@centurylink.com>, "lmap@ietf.org" <lmap@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lmap] What is broadband?

I would hope that the protocol components are largely independent of the measurement endpoints, but there is indeed a need for somebody (not necessarily the IETF and not necessarily one entity) to define them if measurements are meant  to be comparable. For some private-use cases, e.g., within a large enterprise network or for internal carrier use, that's probably less important. If you believe that protocol functionality depends on defining these "mileposts", I'd be curious if you have examples in mind.

Henning