Re: [Lsr] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-lsr-ip-flexalgo-04 - "IGP Flexible Algorithms (Flex-Algorithm) In IP Networks"

Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Wed, 04 May 2022 23:29 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 07:28:58 +0800
Cc: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee@cisco.com>, "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>, "Peter Psenak (ppsenak)" <ppsenak@cisco.com>, draft-ietf-lsr-ip-flexalgo@ietf.org, lsr@ietf.org
To: Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-lsr-ip-flexalgo-04 - "IGP Flexible Algorithms (Flex-Algorithm) In IP Networks"

Hi, Gyan:

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

> On May 5, 2022, at 02:48, Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Aijun
>
> Section 6 describes why as Les has mentioned that you need a new top level TLV for OSPF and ISIS for IP Flex Algo Reachability advertisement to disambiguate the data plane IP from existing SR-MPLS and SRV6 data planes.
>
> The problem is that IP Flex Algo cannot use the existing prefix reachability advertisement because IGP Flex Algo advertise the prefix reachability in default Algo 0.

[WAJ] My question is, if the existing prefix reachability is associated with FAPM, then they can be used to advertise the prefix reachability in other Algo.
No one can explain why such approaches can’t be achieved until now. They just said we cannot.

> Thus the existing top level TLVs cannot be used  and new Top Level TLVs are being  allocated with the IP Flex Algo draft,
> .
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lsr-ip-flexalgo#section-6
>
> 6.  Advertising IP Flex-Algorthm Reachability
>
>    To be able to associate the prefix with the Flex-Algorithm, the
>    existing prefix reachability advertisements can not be used, because
>    they advertise the prefix reachability in default algorithm 0.
>    Instead, a new IP Flex-Algorithm reachability advertisements are
>    defined in ISIS and OSPF.
>
>    The M-flag in FAD is not applicable to IP Algorithm Prefixes.  Any IP
>    Algorithm Prefix advertisement includes the Algorithm and Metric
>    fields.  When IP Algorithm Prefix is advertised between areas or
>    domains, the metric field in the IP Algorithm Prefix advertisement
>    MUST be used irrespective of the M-flag in the FAD advertisement.
>
>    Two new top-level TLVs are defined in ISIS [ISO10589] to advertise
>    prefix reachability associated with a Flex-Algorithm.
>
>    *  The IPv4 Algorithm Prefix Reachability TLV
>
>    *  The IPv6 Algorithm Prefix Reachability TLV
>
>    New top-level TLV of OSPFv2 Extended Prefix Opaque LSA [RFC7684] is
>    defined to advertise prefix reachability associated with a Flex-
>    Algorithm in OSPFv2.
[WAJ] If the previous concerns has not addressed, the above newly defined top TLV is baseless and unnecessary then.

> Section 14 LSR Flex Algo helps describe the association of Flex Algo to
> SR-MPLS prefix SID and SRv6 Locator.
>
> This is most pertinent as LSR Flex Algo base draft is applicable to
> SR data plane but as this is a base draft it is extensible to future
> innovations such as IP Flex Algo and other future data planes.
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo-19#section-14

[WAJ] Yes. If the FAPM associated with existing IP reachability advertisement  is used to advertise the IP-Flex Algo, then the corresponding forwarding description part can be added here. All things will be well done.