RE: [Mipshop] Gauging interest in official WG adoption ofinternetdrafts

"Soliman, Hesham" <hsoliman@qualcomm.com> Tue, 28 March 2006 17:22 UTC

Subject: RE: [Mipshop] Gauging interest in official WG adoption ofinternetdrafts
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:32:25 -0800
From: "Soliman, Hesham" <hsoliman@qualcomm.com>
To: James Kempf <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>, Wassim Haddad <whaddad@tcs.hut.fi>, gabriel montenegro <gabriel_montenegro_2000@yahoo.com>
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org

As we've discussed offlist, context transfer of keys between ARs has the
potential to violate the Housley Critera:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-housley-aaa-key-mgmt-02.txt

Russ' draft is written specifically with AAA key management in mind, but the
criteria apply to other types of key management as well.

=> Independently of the draft being discussed, I think it's unrealistic
to say that no keys can be transferred. The only alternatives are: a trip to AAA
or the use of public keys for each handover. I really don't think either one is
better for a handover. However, I'd be open to including them as alternatives.
But I certainly wouldn't dismiss CT of keys, I think it's unrealistic. Also,
this is what most cellular systems do today, starting from GSM onwards.

Hesham

I skimmed your
draft, and it seemed to me that there might be a problem.

Rajeev and I have been working on this draft for over a year, and it was
transferred from MOBOPTS with the recommendation that it become a WG draft.
If you manage to come up with some way to reduce the amount of signaling
involved in SEND-based key exchange for handover that is consistent with the
Housley Critera, I would have no problem incorporating that into the WG
draft at that time. Gab and Stefano can correct me if I am wrong, but I do
not believe we are in a hurry to get this draft to the IESG, so there should
be plenty of time to incorporate enhancements that you or any WG member
would like to include.

            jak