RE: [Mipshop] Gauging interest in official WG adoptionofinternetdrafts

"Soliman, Hesham" <hsoliman@qualcomm.com> Tue, 28 March 2006 17:22 UTC

Subject: RE: [Mipshop] Gauging interest in official WG adoptionofinternetdrafts
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:22:51 -0800
From: "Soliman, Hesham" <hsoliman@qualcomm.com>
To: James Kempf <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>, Wassim Haddad <whaddad@tcs.hut.fi>, gabriel montenegro <gabriel_montenegro_2000@yahoo.com>
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org

Public key crypto is not in the critical path for handover. The SEND draft
specifies that public key crypto be used for key distribution, not handover
message authentication. Or was there some other problem you see with the
SEND draft?

=> Well, the key distribution would need to be repeated every time you
move unless you CT keys right?

Regarding whether context transfer of keys should be used or not, you need
to take up that issue with the SAAG. I think it is fair to say that,
regardless of deployment, they have a low opinion of it.

=> With all respect to SAAG, I think they're being inflexible about this
and the reasons are not that clear. This is a problem in more than one
aspect of security in IETF. Everything is being done in isolation without
providing flexibility for complementing aspects of deployment or even
describing when things can be "worked around" in a safe manner.

Internet standards are targetted at a somewhat broader set
of deployment scenerios, which, I think, would be Russ' argument against
context transfer of keys in an Internet standard.

=> Sure, but it's strange IMO to limit everything else by assuming that
the *only* mode of operation is the one that requires 100% security of
each protocol independently of the deployment scenario. That's what SHOULDs
are for, as opposed to MUSTs.

Hesham

            jak