Re: [mpls-tp] Comments on draft-fbb-mpls-tp-data-plane-00: ~ECMP =>~ETH aggregation?

Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com> Mon, 22 March 2010 20:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:18:26 +0100
From: Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com>
To: curtis@occnc.com
Cc: mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] Comments on draft-fbb-mpls-tp-data-plane-00: ~ECMP =>~ETH aggregation?

Curtis,

If there is a guarantee that Y.1731 OAM within EVC signals is not corrupted
by a LAG within the MPLS-TP network, then it would be good to state that in
the MPLS-TP document describing LAG as a component in a MPLS-TP network.
That will take away one concern I have with LAG deployment. I understadn
that a LAG in MPLS-TP network will thus never look behind a PW label for its
hashing.

Having cleared this concern, I would like to make you aware of another
related concern, now being part of MPLS-TP OAM definition.

I was just reading section 5.5 of the MPLS-TP OAM framework document and
found the following text:

----------------------
5.5. Packet Loss Measurement

   Packet Loss Measurement (LM) is one of the capabilities supported by
   the MPLS-TP Performance Monitoring (PM) function in order to
   facilitate reporting of QoS information for a transport path as
   required in section 2.2.11 of [12]. LM is used to exchange counter
   values for the number of ingress and egress packets transmitted and
   received by the transport path monitored by a pair of MEPs.

   Proactive LM is performed by periodically sending LM OAM packets from
   a MEP to a peer MEP and by receiving LM OAM packets from the peer MEP
   (if a bidirectional transport path) during the life time of the
   transport path. Each MEP performs measurements of its transmitted and
   received packets. These measurements are then transactionally
   correlated with the peer MEP in the ME to derive the impact of packet
   loss on a number of performance metrics for the ME in the MEG. The LM
   transactions are issued such that the OAM packets will experience the
   same queuing discipline as the measured traffic while transiting
   between the MEPs in the ME.

   For a MEP, near-end packet loss refers to packet loss associated with
   incoming data packets (from the far-end MEP) while far-end packet
   loss refers to packet loss associated with egress data packets
   (towards the far-end MEP).

5.5.1. Configuration considerations

   In order to support proactive LM, the transmission rate and PHB
   associated with the LM OAM packets originating from a MEP need be
   configured as part of the LM provisioning procedures. LM OAM packets
   should be transmitted with the same PHB class that the LM is intended
   to measure. If that PHB is not an ordered aggregate where the
   ordering constraint is all packets with the PHB being delivered in
   order, LM can produce inconsistent results.
-------------------

The last sentence in section 5.5.1 refers to a required ordering.

When a LAG is deployed within a Section layer transport path (i.e. Section
MEP functions are outside LAG), then the LM procedure will most likely
produce inconsistent results. Consistent results would be obtained only if
the Section MEP functions are located inside the LAG, i.e. on each link in
the LAG.

When a LAG is deployed within a Transport Path layer transport path (e.g.
edge-to-edge LSP), then the edge-to-edge LSP LM procedure may produce
inconsistent results if the edge-to-edge LSP packets of the PHB and the
associated LM OAM packets are transported over more then one link in the
LAG. Can a LAG be operated such that all packets within an edge-to-edge LSP
with the same PHB will be carried over a single link in the LAG?

REgards,
Maarten