Re: [mpls-tp] Comments on draft-fbb-mpls-tp-data-plane-00: ~ECMP =>~ETH aggregation?

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Fri, 05 March 2010 21:38 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:38:44 -0000
From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: adrian@olddog.co.uk, curtis@occnc.com
Cc: mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] Comments on draft-fbb-mpls-tp-data-plane-00: ~ECMP =>~ETH aggregation?

Adrian....bottom-line is you are technically right...more in-line:

NH=> Join the queue!

> I believe that a client layer is independent of its server
> layer, and that a server layer is independent of the client layer.

NH=> This is the way it should be Adrian.  Unfortunately this is not the
case with MPLS.  The mere fact that PWs exist shows that MPLS failed to
get layering right.  MPLS-TP really should fix this if it wants to be
taken seriously as a transport network.  Sadly, this does not look like
it is going to happen....hard-nosed commercials and soft-nosed
face-saving/embarassment hold-sway.

> So the OAM in the MPLS-TP layer is testing connectivity in
> the MPLS-TP layer. If the server layer has "interesting"
> features, these must be tested using OAM in the server layer,
> and faults or degradations detected in the server layer will
> be reported at the MPLS-TP link ends.

NH=> Totally correct Adrian.  But there is a little more to it than just
this:

1	The principle service a server layer transport network provides
to its clients is *transparency* (of information transported).  This has
several implications, but a key one is that the server layer must not
attempt to understand the information contained in the client
symbols...and it for sure must not change these client symbols.  LAG and
any type inverse muxing in some server layer network must make specific
assumptions not only about the client traffic unit structure but also
about the importance (also see next item) of client traffic
units.....this type of DPI/snooping is a very, very bad idea for a
server layer transport network....indeed, it indicates an immediate
failure of purpose as it obviously violates the key transparency
requirement.

2	In all networking cases there must be a top-of-stack network
technology present that supports the external message/file/stream
applications.  IP is dominant in this role.  Most other technologies,
including Ethernet where LAG came from and also MPLS, currently cannot
fulfil this role.  It is only in this top-of-stack network that one can
say anything meaningful about importance.....noting that:
-	importance has no relationship to the application type....any
message/file/stream application can assume any importance...and this is
why all successful transport networks (to date all such network are
co-cs mode) must make no judgement on this metric, ie all client *bits*
(a bit is the atomic information symbol) are treated equally and
ordering of bits is preserved....this is also why a transport network
must not have any QoS (sic) classes, and indeed the co-cs mode
does-not/cannot have any QoS classes.
-	the above is not simply wrt *within* client instance X but
applies *across* all client instances of the server layer....in other
words it is even more meaningless to try and make importance judgements
*between* applications in different client service instances
-	in a cl-ps network the traffic unit must carry the importance
semantic...indeed the traffic unit must carry full information labels
wrt SA, DA and PID.....one can take no labelling short-cuts in the cl-ps
mode
-	in a co-ps or co-cs network network it is the parent connection
that carries the importance semantic and *not* the child traffic
units...and it is because the parent connection contains implicit
information itself that we can take some labelling short-cuts in the
child traffic units, eg omit SA, omit PID, reduce scope of DA label to
link unique.

> For example, when building a composite link from a bundle of
> OC192s to advertise as a single link in the IGP, I suspect
> that we run BFD over the IP link to test for overall
> connectivity, and we run OAM on each OC192 to check its
> connectivity. Any OC192 failure will result in a degradation
> being reported at the IP link ends.

> If we did try to architect MPLS-TP OAM to handle every
> potential type of server technology and aggregation technique
> (and every possible way of hashing data onto component links)
> I suspect we would end up with outrageously complex MPLS-Tp OAM.

NH=> Exactly so, this is why we need client and server independence.
What you also saying (a little differently to how I would) is that we do
not have transparency here.  It's obvious from Curtis's comments he does
not grasp these issues very well....which is why he also thinks adding
arbitrary 'entropy' 127/8 SA labels in *client* IP OAM ping pkts is a
good way to test the ECMP layering violations that usually come with
*server layer* LDP.  The problem here is the server layer merging LDP
and its layering violating ECMP bedfellow.  Adding entropy (what a grand
name for stating we have no idea what we are testing!) is not a great
OAM idea in a transport network as Dave as already pointed out.

regards, Neil