Re: [mpls] [Detnet] Invitation to participate in an Open MPLS wg desifn team on how to carry additional forwarding data in MPLS packets

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Sun, 04 April 2021 21:22 UTC

Return-Path: <loa@pi.nu>
X-Original-To: mpls@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: mpls@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id AF8C43A1AEA for <mpls@ietfa.amsl.com>; Sun, 4 Apr 2021 14:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.898
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.898 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, NICE_REPLY_A=-0.001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_NONE=0.001, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id av8wjzrJXePE for <mpls@ietfa.amsl.com>; Sun, 4 Apr 2021 14:22:47 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from pipi.pi.nu (pipi.pi.nu [83.168.239.141]) (using TLSv1.1 with cipher AECDH-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id E5A3A3A1AEB for <mpls@ietf.org>; Sun, 4 Apr 2021 14:22:46 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [192.168.1.11] (unknown [124.104.183.2]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) (Authenticated sender: loa@pi.nu) by pipi.pi.nu (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 666C932AE3F for <mpls@ietf.org>; Sun, 4 Apr 2021 23:22:43 +0200 (CEST)
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
To: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
References: <be54bfcb-1f27-939f-97cc-edaf2020cc6a@pi.nu>
Message-ID: <2556a811-2715-986b-1cbd-e3685ed5a276@pi.nu>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 05:22:40 +0800
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.9.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <be54bfcb-1f27-939f-97cc-edaf2020cc6a@pi.nu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/mpls/6Ia-b4xZsm1lcwddjZe0LtGcnsw>
Subject: Re: [mpls] [Detnet] Invitation to participate in an Open MPLS wg desifn team on how to carry additional forwarding data in MPLS packets
X-BeenThere: mpls@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: Multi-Protocol Label Switching WG <mpls.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/mpls>, <mailto:mpls-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/mpls/>
List-Post: <mailto:mpls@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:mpls-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls>, <mailto:mpls-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 21:22:52 -0000

Working Group,

I said four working groups, but this went to the mpls-ads, rather than 
the mpls working group (blush).

/Loa

On 04/04/2021 14:50, Loa Andersson wrote:
> MPLS, PALS, DETNET and SPRING working groups,
> 
> Note: This message is sent to four working groups, please limit 
> responses to the mpls wg mailing list only.
> 
> All members of the four working group are invited to participate in an 
> open MPLS wg design team to address the work that was discussed in the 
> joint meeting at IETF 110
> 
> Below follows "notes" from a meeting between chairs of the four working 
> groups 2021-03-22. It outlines how we initially will take on the work.
> 
> -------------------  meeting notes   -----------------------
> 
> 
> Continue the work the joint meeting at IETF 110.
> ================================================
> 
> Working Group Chairs from MPLS, PALS, SPRING and DETNET met
> 2021-03-22 to discuss how to follow up the joint meeting
> at IETF 110.
> 
> Participation:
> --------------
> 
>   Loa Andersson (mpls)
>   Tarek Saad (mpls)
>   Stewart Bryant (pals)
>   Andy Malis (pals)
>   Joel Halpern (spring)
>   Lou Berger (detnet)
> 
> We discussed three themes
> -------------------------
> 
> - what to do next
> - how to document the output from the joint meeting
> - how to organize the work that starts here
> 
> We agreed
> =========
> 
> - that the work starting here is part of the MPLS architecture  and in
>   the end might lead to updates - that this is work that should be
>   coordinated by the mpls working group and that discussion working
>   group adoption and the discussion should be taken to the MPLS WG
>   mailing list.
> 
> We agreed with the summary from the joint meeting
> -------------------------------------------------
> 
> - that tt is important that MPLS grows and develops to support the new
>   needs of network operators. The alternative to such development is
>   stagnation and a path to obsolescence.
> 
> - that is important that any change does not adversely impact the
>   operation of legacy equipment installed in the same network as the n
>   new functionality.
> 
> - it is important that any change is both forwards and backwards
>   compatible. i.e. that any change does not limit the ability for
>   further future development of MPLS.
> 
> - it is important that any change be practical on the forwarding
>   technology likely to be deployable in the reasonably near future.
> 
> - it is important that we minimize the number of changes needed to
>   support the new needs but making that change an elegant approach
>   that satisfies as many of the new needs as possible.
> 
> - there is sufficient interest and urgency in the need for new features
>   that we need to work on this between meetings to progress at an
>   acceptable rate.
> 
> We also agreed on some practical things
> ---------------------------------------
> 
> - the list (possibly incomplete) of proposals in Stewart's slides
>   has been updated to a short draft to serve as input to this work
>   (draft-bryant-mpls-dev-primer-00.txt).
> 
> - the work will be divided into two "tracks" (1) proposals carrying
>   information after the BoS and; (2) proposals carrying info in the
>   stack.
> 
> - we will hold open design-team meetings, i.e. any member of the four
>   working groups are encouraged to participate
> 
> - the meeting cycle is 5 weeks:
> 
>   -- "week 1" we will have a joint meeting to coordinate between the
>      two tracks
>   -- "week 2" and "week 4" we will have a track 1 meeting
>   -- "week 3" and "week 5" we will have a track 2 meeting
>   -- "week 6" = "week 1"; and we start the count over again
> 
> We will start  with joint (kick off) meeting April 8. The agenda will be 
> prepared during the week of April 5, let us know if there is anything 
> you want to discuss. We already now know that we will want to discuss 
> Stewart's primer.
> 
> Mach will send out WebEx details to all four working groups.
> 
> - the over all coordination of this activity will done by Loa, if
>   you need a slot in any meting or need to put a discussion point
>   on the agenda ping Loa.
> 
> - the meetings will be every Thursday at 3pm Central European Time.
> 
> /Loa
> for(all) the wg-chairs
> 
> 

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: loa@pi.nu
Senior MPLS Expert                          loa.pi.nu@gmail.com
Bronze Dragon Consulting             phone: +46 739 81 21 64