Re: [Mtgvenue] editor's take on draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 01 May 2018 21:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 17:14:53 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Kathleen Moriarty <kathleen.moriarty.ietf@gmail.com>, Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
cc: mtgvenue@ietf.org, ietf <IETF@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Mtgvenue] editor's take on draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process

--On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 09:41 -0700 Kathleen Moriarty
<kathleen.moriarty.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the most part, I made sure I stayed at the conference
> hotel to make travel with a child possible and normally went
> to the room to feed him or pump.  However, I did find it
> difficult between sessions in Korea and a room on the main
> meeting floor would have been really helpful in at least one
> instance..
>
> An infant feeding room would be very helpful so that attendees
> could still attend if they were unable to get a room at the
> conference hotel.  When my son is 5 or 6, I'd likely really
> appreciate the family restroom.  But I think this would be
> important for summer meetings or if the meeting was during a
> school break for some group of attendees.
>
> Having cribs at the main hotel would be important if there was
> no infant feeding room, meaning the attendee would need to be
> in the host hotel and couldn't practically stay at another
> nearby hotel.

This is a question, not advocacy or a position one way or the
other.

Given the above (and implicitly incorporating at least some of
Alissa's comments), do you believe it is necessary and
appropriate that we change our procedures to give parents with
small children (and possibly other groups with special issues)
priority on bookings in the meeting hotel?   I note that we
frequently run out of rooms in that hotel and that, in some
venues, alternate hotels may not be across the street.  Such
accommodation priority might also help avoid overconstraining
the system and venue choices in other ways.

Also, when locations are chosen that involve conference centers
without integral or immediately adjacent and attached hotels,
can we define what is needed in each?

    john