Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-system-mgmt

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Tue, 10 December 2013 21:16 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: netmod@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:18:10 -0800
Subject: Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-system-mgmt

Hi -

Nope.  The escaped sequence is still longer, so the length-based
rationale doesn't work.

> approach avoids any conflicts, it leads to a very SNMP specific
> solution, which is not commonly understood and needs special
> processing by both machines and human brains. But then, SNMP would
> only add a little bit more to the noise out there already:

> http://billposer.org/Software/ListOfRepresentations.html

Whatever is easy, if not trivial to support with the scripting tools used by
operators would probably the best bet.  A C-like \u or HTML-like
&# convention is probably a really good bet.  I think the HTML escapes
might be less dangerous than the C-like ones (considering exotic formatting
capabilities), but am not married to one or the other.

> Anyway, for a standardized approach, someone would have to write a
> document that defines how unicode code points are represented as
> escaped charater sequences in DisplayStrings. I do not think that this
> document is in charge of doing this. Hence, until such a standard is
> written, I think things need to be implementation specific.

Perhaps, though that is the route to being stuck with ASCII until the
successor to Netconf rolls along.

Randy