Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-system-mgmt

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Thu, 12 December 2013 08:41 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 00:42:57 -0800
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-system-mgmt

Hi -

There are good reasons to restrict formatting and control characters -
I'll assume YANG strings do this already.  If not, that's another long
discussion.

>    o  An implementation that maps this value to the corresponding MIB
>       object, which has size and character set limitations, MUST use
>       some mechanism out of the scope for this document to ensure that
>       the MIB object syntax is still valid.

Yes this seems reasonable.

But it doesn't cover a "round trip".  If the value is modified via the MIB
interface to include what looks like the implementation-specific encoding
into ASCII of a non-ASCII Unicode code point, does retrieving that value
via the Netconf interface get the Unicode code point or the implementation-
specific ASCII encoding of it?  If it does (and I think it should) then there
needs to be some though put into what happens when the code point
encoded using ASCII would, if converted to Unicode, be illegal (for
whatever reason) in the YANG string.  It's probably best to keep the
SNMP instrumentation ignorant of all this, so code in the Netconf side
would need determine whether any of the ASCII "escape sequences"
would produce forbidden code points, and, in such cases, *not* evaluate
those sequences and just pass them through unevaluated.

> Also, just to make sure, we are talking about:
>
>    system/location        -- sysLocation
>    system/contact         -- sysContact
>    interface/description  -- ifAlias

Perhaps also sysDescr (even though read-only, my comment above seems applicable,
particularly since on at least some systems this comes from a static configuration
file, and would be useful to support local language in some minimal way.)

sysName (think IDN) might also be worth thinking about.  There was a long debate
about this a while back; I don't know what current thinking is.

Randy