Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-system-mgmt

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Sat, 14 December 2013 10:21 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: netmod@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:17:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-system-mgmt

Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> writes:

>>> Let me be more direct.  To exclude, for example,
>>> VT (vertical tab) but at the same time to include
>>> RI (reverse line feed) in the set of permitted
>>> characters seems ill-advised, to say the least.
>>
>>That was the (somewhat arbitrary) decision taken for XML 1.0.
>>And since it is the serialization format for NETCONF, it was
>>quite logical to adopt it for YANG, too.
>
> This has nothing to do with serialization.  This is
> a question of which code points are permitted within
> strings intended for human consumption.

So you are advocating a more restricted string type, rather than more liberal, right? That wasn't clear to me. In this case I tend to agree. It should be possible to find a subset of UCS that satisfies all thinkable needs of network management and yet avoids the dark alleys of Unicode and possible pitfalls for interoperability.

Judging from another ongoing discussion in the JSON WG, it was a very good decision to remove floating-point numbers from YANG.

Lada