Re: [OPSAWG] network management data models - a rewrite

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Mon, 28 November 2011 14:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:45:42 +0100
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, opsawg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] network management data models - a rewrite

Hi,

One comment on Benoit's comment:

From: opsawg-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:opsawg-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf
Of Benoit Claise

  The second important infrastructure data model is defined in the
  Entity MIB [RFC4133]. It exports the containment hierarchy of the
  physical entities (slots, modules, ports) that make up a networking
  device and as such it is a key data model for inventory management.
  Physical entities can have pointers to other data models that
  provide more specific information about a physical entity (e.g.
  physical ports usually point to the related network interface).
  Entity MIB extensions exist for physical sensors such as temperature
  sensors embedded on line cards or sensors that report fan rotation
  speeds [RFC3433].

BC> I would not mention this ENTITY-MIB extension about sensor. To the
audience, it might seem that we have master the Internet of Things with
SNMP, which is not correct at all!

Another extension models states and alarms of
  physical entities [RFC4268]. Some vendors have extended the basic
  Entity MIB with several proprietary data models.

[[DR]] I respectfully disagree with Benoit's comment. There is not claim
that 'we have mastered the IoT management', just an example of the way
the Entity MIB can be used and extended to represent information from
physical sensors, followed by another example about alarms. I would
rather leave them as written by Juergen.

Dan

(speaking as contributor)