Re: DR election

kamatchi soundaram <kamatchi@TDD.SJ.NEC.COM> Tue, 13 May 2003 17:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:49:23 -0700
From: kamatchi soundaram <kamatchi@TDD.SJ.NEC.COM>
Subject: Re: DR election
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

R4 will become DR.
GKS
----- Original Message -----
From: "Zebaida, Dror (Dror)" <dzebaida@avaya.com>
To: <OSPF@discuss.microsoft.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 6:46 AM

> Hi Phil,
>
> I don't mean exactly a partitioned network. This is what I mean:
>
> 1)      R1 -------------------R2
>                          |     N10
>                 R3
>
> 2) All connected and R3 is elected to be the DR since it has the highest
router ID.

> 3) R4 is configured to run ospf on an interface belonging to N10. However
it is not physically connecet to N10

> 4) R4 is transitioned out of it WAIT state after 40 seconds thinking it's
alone on N10 (not receiving any HELLOS)

> 5) R4 is physically connected to N10
>
> 6) R1/R2/R3 all send HELLOS with R3 DR and R2 BDR.    R4 sends HELLO with
R4 DR

> 7) what happens now???        R3 remains DR  or   R4 is selected to be DR.
>

> Hope this is clear
> Thanks
> Dror

IP subnetwork is partitioned (may be due to some layer 2 problems) where
each partition may have tis own DR/BDR. In this case, when partitions are
merged, R4 will be the new DR for the final healed IP subnetwork. R3 will
become DR-other. R2 remains as BDR (unless there is another BDR from other
partition).

> --Phil

DR.
> However, when an interface transitions out of the WAIT state, if it thinks
it is
> alone on the network, it declares itself the DR.  If after that, it
connects to the
> network, there are 2 routers declaring themselves DR. In our case R3 and
R4.
> At this stage, is a new DR elected, or does R3 remain the DR.
>
> The scenario I am describing is R4 is conneced to the network after it
transitioned
> out of the WAIT state (after 40 seconds)
>
> Thanks

R1
> > will be DR-Other.  This is the result of the DR election process since
R3
> > has the largest router ID.
> >
> > If I add a new router R4 with router ID 0.0.0.4, do I expect R4 to
become
> > the DR, or does it just become another DR-other since there is already a
DR