Re: DR election

"Zebaida, Dror (Dror)" <dzebaida@AVAYA.COM> Tue, 13 May 2003 13:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 16:46:08 +0300
From: "Zebaida, Dror (Dror)" <dzebaida@AVAYA.COM>
Subject: Re: DR election
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

Hi Phil,

I don't mean exactly a partitioned network. This is what I mean:

1)      R1 -------------------R2

                         |     N10

                R3

2) All connected and R3 is elected to be the DR since it has the highest router ID.

3) R4 is configured to run ospf on an interface belonging to N10. However it is not physically connecet to N10

4) R4 is transitioned out of it WAIT state after 40 seconds thinking it's alone on N10 (not receiving any HELLOS)

5) R4 is physically connected to N10

6) R1/R2/R3 all send HELLOS with R3 DR and R2 BDR.    R4 sends HELLO with R4 DR

7) what happens now???        R3 remains DR  or   R4 is selected to be DR.

Hope this is clear
Thanks
Dror