[p2p-sip] __A_New_Internet-draft_is_available

slavitch at gmail.com (Michael Slavitch) Thu, 24 August 2006 16:09 UTC

From: "slavitch at gmail.com"
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:09:00 -0400
Subject: [p2p-sip] __A_New_Internet-draft_is_available

I fully agree that it must wait until well after the charter.  Get the basic
physics working first.

On 8/24/06, Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei at adobe.com> wrote:

>   patent chasers: 1st time we saw this)

On this, I must quote Dr. Strangelove: *"*Yes, but the... whole point of the
doomsday machine... is lost... if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell
the world, eh?"  The sole reason IP is useful is because it was told to the
world and it is simple.  Technically, old dead IPX is better, but that
didn't matter because it was too much of a trade secret.  The biggest
problem with global PKI, for example, is that too many organizations want to
control identity acces and policy and use it as barrier, not as an
opportunity for communication.
When I scripted a stark and simple SIP TCP UA  after one reading of RFC3261
I knew SIP would win.  The same lazy ease must be possible with hierarchical
overlays, their policies, and their provisioning.  Feature richness, done
well, will follow, like with HTTP.  Tim Berners-Lee may have anticipated
WebDAV replacing proprietary file servers (see his first post regarding the
web:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.hypertext/msg/06dad279804cb3ba?dmode=source&hl=en)
but did anyone expect the explosion that happened?

Could anyone have anticipated iTunes or eBay or YouTube or MySpace? That the
web 'revenue model' turned out to be advertising and e-commerce for travel
and cars?

The patent chasers and complexity hounds will have plenty of opportunity to
patent applications and create artificial nuances for this new
environment.  That lesson was sadly learned from core SIP.  It is my opinion
that P2PSIP automation and policy must be so ubiquitous and easy as to
create a functional ecosystem that does not depend on the whims of one
dominant vendor.

Likewise it can't rot in patent isolation by a technology company that
cannot or will not exploit it.  The "how" should be common.
The "what" offers much that can be left to the imagination.

Regards To All