Re: [PEPPERMINT] DRINKS PROPOSED Charter ..comments please.

Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com> Wed, 16 April 2008 23:29 UTC

From: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>
To: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:29:55 -0400
Cc: peppermint@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PEPPERMINT] DRINKS PROPOSED Charter ..comments please.
Sender: peppermint-bounces@ietf.org

Richard,

I do have one VERY serious problem with this revised charter.  If the
group name is changed to DRINKS, then I will have lost my opportunity
to submit an Internet-Draft titled "draft-york-peppermint-pattie"[1].
Although I suppose the new name does allow everyone to join in the
creative naming fun... I can just see... "draft-shockey-drinks-too-
many-sips"... "draft-bond-drinks-sip-shaken-not-stirred"... "draft-
kaplan-drinks-sips-with-no-identity-challenge"...

Seriously, it looks good overall and does make sense to change the
name.   I do like how the charter makes it clear how DRINKS relates to
ENUM and SPEERMINT.

Outside of the nits Hadriel already pointed out, I'll only add a few
points embedded with "DY>":

> The DRINKS working group is chartered with a scope that is
> orthogonal to
> SPEERMINT and ENUM.  The protocol work OF DRINKS will be designed to
> build

DY> "OF" should be lowercase.

> Typical data includes the mapping of phone numbers to URIs, policies
> surrounding admission to various points of network interconnection,
> and
> various other types of interconnect data.  In addition, there is a
> specific
> need for the exchange of such data between the Registry and various
> types of
> PSTN network databases.

DY> Will you be changing this per Hadriel's comment to "a Registry"?

DY> Do you see the data to be exchanged to also include information
using in billing?

DY> I see nothing in the charter about ensuring that the data is
exchanged securely between the various administrative domains but I
would assume this is a necessary requirement.  Is that just an
implicit assumption that security will be covered in the Requirements
document? (i.e. no explicit statement is necessary in the charter?)

Regards,
Dan

[1] For those outside North America who have perhaps never sampled the
candy, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Peppermint_Pattie
--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork@voxeo.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free