RE: [Pesci-discuss] For whom it may concern..

"Gray, Eric" <Eric.Gray@marconi.com> Thu, 10 November 2005 23:12 UTC

From: "Gray, Eric" <Eric.Gray@marconi.com>
To: 'Margaret Wasserman' <margaret@thingmagic.com>, "'Joel M. Halpern'" <joel@stevecrocker.com>, pesci-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Pesci-discuss] For whom it may concern..
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:12:16 -0200
Sender: pesci-discuss-bounces@ietf.org

Margaret,

	"Forge a consensus" was either a poorly chosen phrase, or a
freudian slip, given the way that the IETF usually determines that
a consensus has been achieved.

	I think we are arguing here about what is a good change from
the perspective of those doing the work and what is a good change
from the perspective of those who have to live with the results. A
good case can be made for either perspective.  Also, the roles of
"doing the work" and "living with the results" are not fixed.  For
example, many recent changes are making it much harder for authors
to submit an internet draft and work it through the process while
making it a little easier for IETF processing elements to push the
sludge through the process once an author has done their part.

	It's a constant search for the right balance and the IETF
leadership needs to be careful not to push too hard for a balance
that costs the IETF "followership" too much.

	The tough part is figuring out which side of the balance we
are on right now.  The recent spate of people deciding not to stay
in IETF leadership positions could be interpretted in two ways:

	1) The IETF is asking too much of its leadership or
	2) Employers of people in IETF leadership positions are not
	   seeing any benefit in having people in those positions.

The two interpretations are not mutually exclusive - except maybe
on a case-by-case basis - but it would help to know which way the
dominant trend leans at present.

--
Eric