Re: [Pesci-discuss] For whom it may concern..

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Thu, 10 November 2005 23:00 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:59:56 +0200
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Subject: Re: [Pesci-discuss] For whom it may concern..
Cc: pesci-discuss@ietf.org
Sender: pesci-discuss-bounces@ietf.org

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> --On 10. november 2005 08:28 +0200 Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> wrote:
>> The IESG has had .. less than stellar track record of responding to the
>> bottleneck problems.  As a matter of fact, I do not recall a single
>> improvement which would have had _significant_ on throughput. While the
>> transparency of the work has improved over the years, this has obviously
>> not had significant impact on the amount of work getting done.
>
> I believe that it has.
>
> In terms of approved RFCs, the situation of 2005 is that the IESG moves
> approximately double the number of documents that it did in 2002.
> You may dismiss that "mere" factor of two as an insignificant change in
> throughput. I won't - I have too much respect for the cost that the people
> who managed to do it paid to achieve it.

Fair point, and I'm sorry for sounding unfair.  In my earlier message,
I had actually listed successes which have no doubt had an impact in
what you've said (genart, proto work, I-D tracker, tools, uptake on
education, etc.). Maybe mistakenly I removed that (this) discussion in
the sake of conciseness before posting.

But, "less is more".  [The IESG] doing more (if it's not around an
order of magnitude more) may help in the short term, but not in the
longer term.  Especially if the amount of work done is not static or
decreasing over time.

(However, I believe the improvements made have resulted in tremendous
increase in *transparency* and the ability to figure out what's going
on; that certainly could have resulted in dramatic decrease of
complaints.)