RE: Logotypes in certificates

Stefan Santesson <stefan@addtrust.com> Mon, 02 April 2001 21:29 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 23:28:03 +0200
To: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
From: Stefan Santesson <stefan@addtrust.com>
Subject: RE: Logotypes in certificates
Cc: ietf-pkix@imc.org

Steve,

I have problem to find the time to compile the input you ask for.

I think though that enough persons, where many of those actually represent
significant market players in PKI, has spoken in favour of including
logotypes in certificates in some form.

I would further regard Bob Junemans very relevant input as yet another very
good reason for this.

So to me the question is more HOW instead of IF or WHY. Everybody doesn't
have to need or want a feature in order to motivate its support in
standards. What is important though is that there is a consensus that the
choosen solution doesn't break the systems for those who doesn't need or
want to use it.

I agree with those who consider inclusion of logotypes in policy qualifiers
as a primitive hack, but I also see the good sides of this and right now I
agree with Russ that this is probably the best way to do it in order to
avoid the problems you address.

If policy qualifiers would be deprecated, then I'm open for suggestions. I
don't care that much about HOW as long as this important need gets addressed.

/Stefan