Re: Logotypes in certificates

Dean Povey <povey@dstc.qut.edu.au> Tue, 27 March 2001 00:16 UTC

To: michael@stroeder.com
cc: ietf-pkix@imc.org
Subject: Re: Logotypes in certificates
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:16:09 +1000
From: Dean Povey <povey@dstc.qut.edu.au>

>> One way, is that the CA can ensure that the logo is a registered
>> trademark owned by the subject it is being issued to.  The USPTO and other
>> organisations like it already have processes to ensure that trademarks are
>> not confusingly similar.
>
>I disagree. The organizations registering trade marks/logos (e.g.
>Deutsches Patentamt in Germany) do not guarantee that the trade
>marks/logos are not similar to others. They're just doing the
>registration, no exhaustive checking for conflicts => a CA cannot
>rely on such a service.

My apologies, I made such a broad generalisation based on my knowledge of
what I had recently read about the USPTO and what I remembered about the
Trademark process in Australia.  I think you would concede however that
while they might not do exhaustive checking, the trademark process provides
some level of assurance as companies are quite vigilant about protecting
their trademarks.  Users merely have to treat the information appropriately
in view of this, as they have to do with all information that they find in
a Certificate.

--
Dean Povey,         | e-m: povey@dstc.edu.au | JCSI:  Java Crypto Toolkit
Research Scientist  | ph:  +61 7 3864 5120   | uPKI:  C PKI toolkit for embedded