Re: [radext] Adoption call for draft-perez-radext-radius-fragmentation-06

Alejandro Perez Mendez <alex@um.es> Wed, 16 October 2013 07:01 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:00:52 +0200
From: Alejandro Perez Mendez <alex@um.es>
To: radext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [radext] Adoption call for draft-perez-radext-radius-fragmentation-06

El 16/10/13 08:01, Sanchez, Mauricio escribió:
> Now that the the Perez, et.al. draft has made it into WG draft status we
> see that discussion turned to what the scope of solution should be.  Can
> the authors of the draft summarize their current understanding of the
> situation and what their suggested/planned next steps are?  I expect that
> one or more of the authors will be at IETF 88 to add this draft to the
> agenda, so please confirm availability.
>
> As a reminder, we are on the 1st day (Monday) at 1300.
>
> -Mauricio & Jouni

Dear Mauricio & Jouni,

the scope of this draft is to provide a means for the transmission of
large amounts of authorization data between two RADIUS endpoints. The
reasons why it is focused only on authorization data are described in
the "Scope of this document" section on the draft, and can be summarized
on the following sentence: "Other exchanges (i.e. authentication and
accounting) do not require of such a mechanism". This is justified on
the following premises:

1) Authentication exchanges already deal with fragmentation (e.g.
RADIUS-EAP). Moreover, as they represent the most critical part of a
RADIUS conversation, it is preferable to not introduce any modification
to their operation that may affect existing equipment.
2) There not documented need for fragmentation of accounting data so far.

Additionally, other of the cornerstone points of this mechanism is to
work through unmodified proxies, thus:
* It should be based on UDP
* It should not require of any change to the RADIUS specification
* It should conform with current RADIUS attribute & packet formats

Those are the basis of our draft, and the requirements that have guided
the definition of the current fragmentation mechanism.

However, it does not provide a perfect solution. In particular, it
requires proxying to be done based on the User-Name attribute (although
the most typical case, specific scenarios may have a different
configuration), it requires proxies to not drop unrecognised attributes
(who does not?), it requires proxies to not try to modify the contents
of a packet (apart of inserting Proxy-State attributes), and the
receptor do not know how much data will arrive until it  actually
receives it.

Taking into account aforementioned restrictions it seems that, for new
deployments where keeping the infrastructure unmodified is not a MUST, a
different approach of using RADIUS TCP, *and* changing RADIUS
specification to increase the maximum packet length from 4 KiB to 64 KiB
may provide a simpler solution.

 From my perspective, both solutions could coexists. While the TCP-based
solution may provide a simpler solution, in scenarios where existing
infrastructure cannot be easily upgraded, an UDP-based solution is still
needed.

We are currently finishing a new version which clarifies some points
that were raised on the mailing list, mainly related to the mentioned
limitations. It is our intention to have it ready before the IETF meeting.

I will not personally attend the meeting, but I will be available via
Jabber.

Regards,
Alejandro