Re: [rfc-i] archiving outlinks in RFCs

Alexis Rossi <rsce@rfc-editor.org> Tue, 25 April 2023 23:24 UTC

From: Alexis Rossi <rsce@rfc-editor.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:24:06 -0700
Cc: rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org
To: Paul Kyzivat <paul.kyzivat@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [rfc-i] archiving outlinks in RFCs

> On Apr 25, 2023, at 12:33 PM, Paul Kyzivat <paul.kyzivat@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Alexis,
>
> This is interesting. Would it make sense to adjust our RFC format so that links are directly to an archival site, or so that each reference has two links, one to an original document and the other to an archival version? Or that all the RFCs are periodically tested and automatically switched to an archived target if the original goes stale?

Yes, I think something like these suggestions is a good next step. I know starting with a link directly to an archival version might not work for all outlinks - the authors may want to refer to a “living” resource that changes over time, for instance. So perhaps the best place to start is to always use two versions for outlinks - a live one and an archived one - and do that automatic switch when the live link dies. Perhaps putting in the archived outlinks becomes part of the editorial process? I’m interested to hear about the community’s thoughts on this, because I’m sure I don’t fully understand all of the same context that RFC authors writ large have on this subject.

Alexis