Re: [rtcweb] RTP Usage: Is RTP Retransmission REQUIRED or RECOMMENDED

"Roy, Radhika R CIV (US)" <radhika.r.roy.civ@mail.mil> Fri, 29 June 2012 16:18 UTC

From: "Roy, Radhika R CIV (US)" <radhika.r.roy.civ@mail.mil>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 16:17:36 +0000
x-originating-ip: [131.64.77.12]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] RTP Usage: Is RTP Retransmission REQUIRED or RECOMMENDED

Yes, I support Cullen because so many problems are there for RTP-retransmissions since the inception real-time conversational applications including lip-synch.

With respect video quality, it is a question mark what you are getting at the cost of what, where, and how. Who is paying for the extra-bandwidth that may even lead to severe congestions over the networks if it is not done very carefully and selectively and if this is what all users try to do "fun" through retransmissions? Video-RTP-retransmissions are NOT well proven in the public Internet for wider use.

I even NOT want for even for video retransmissions, if it's the audio and video conversational application. If anyone likes to do this, let us keep this a private (optional) at users' discretion without publicly supporting in the IETF RFCs. At best, we can support the word "MAY."

BR/Radhika