Re: Power aware networks : Comments requested from routing community

Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net> Thu, 07 February 2013 13:08 UTC

Subject: Re: Power aware networks : Comments requested from routing community
From: Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 14:07:38 +0100
To: Balaji venkat Venkataswami <balajivenkat299@gmail.com>
Cc: Shankar Raman M J <mjsraman@gmail.com>, rtgwg@ietf.org

balaji,

may i put your attention to a talk that  francois lemarchand
gave on future net 2010.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jb9au2zca4nl3x/10_fn_S29.pdf
contains a copy.

slide 2 initially shows that the core and edge layer might be appealing
due to their per-box power print. however slide 15 discusses the
big picture where 99.99% of the power is burned by the home
appliances and subscriber line kit.

Do you think that optimizing a part of the network which gives only limited
overall savings is a worthwhile goal ? Note that SPs already ask their vendors
about reducing the power footprint of those core devices by improved, (sometimes
less functional) silicon forwarding engines.

/hannes