PANET side-meeting

Mingui Zhang <zhangmingui@huawei.com> Fri, 08 February 2013 07:10 UTC

From: Mingui Zhang <zhangmingui@huawei.com>
To: Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>, "curtis@occnc.com" <curtis@occnc.com>
Subject: PANET side-meeting
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 07:09:38 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.102.175]
Cc: Susan Hares <susan.hares@huawei.com>, "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>

Hi Tony and Curtis,

Let me retrospect some history to clear up the chaos floating around.

On Feb 4th, I organized a conference call among a dozen of guys (from operators, vendors and Universities) who are interested in PANET, in order to prepare for a side meeting in IETF. There was a rough consensus that a side-meeting is a good way to call for interest, coordination and contribution to PANET. However, requests was _prematurely_ sent out afterwards, without including all the effort from the conference attendees. I hope this email can get us back on track. So I change its title.

I believe the most efficient way for us is to play the game according to the rule of IETF/IRTF. Therefore, we are trying to find a place to accommodate the side-meeting. We should not delve into discussion of specific solutions before we make clear the problem scope. A charter should be published, which will help us figure out what is the problem we are trying to solve. Before that, let me add some pointers of drafts from my side. I believe these drafts can also help people to figure out the scope of PANET.
Power-Aware Networks (PANET): Problem Statement, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-panet-problem-statement/
Use Cases for Power-Aware Networks, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-panet-use-cases/
Requirements for Power Aware Network, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dong-panet-requirement/

On the 84th IETF rtgwg f2f meeting, there were two presentations relevant to greening. I also list them as follows FYI.
A Framework and Requirements for Energy Aware Control Planes, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-retana-rtgwg-eacp-00, [slides] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/84/slides/slides-84-rtgwg-3.pptx
Power-aware Routing and Traffic Engineering: Requirements, Approaches, and Issues, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-greennet/, [slides] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/84/slides/slides-84-rtgwg-4.pptx

Thanks,
Mingui Zhang
Huawei Technologies