Re: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Sun, 25 July 2010 13:33 UTC

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:46:16 -0500
To: Roger Marshall <RMarshall@telecomsys.com>, "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>, "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, sipcore@ietf.org
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

At 05:56 PM 7/15/2010, Roger Marshall wrote:
>All:
>My understanding of what this conveyance-03
>draft now allows for is support of location in terms of:
>
>LbyV if the geolocation header contains a cid
>URI which points to a PIDF-LO in the body
>Or
>LbyR if the geolocation header contains a location URI
>Or
>Both LbyV & LbyR _only_ if the PIDF-LO that the
>cid URI points to also includes an "associated"
>Location URI within.  This is what I assume is the composite case.

you can also have a composed value from two or
more entities proposing they know where the Target is.

>If this is how it's intended to work, how then
>would routing be accomplished if the intention
>was to route on location URI, not LbyV?

The intermediary would dereference the location
URI and receive a PIDF-LO to route the original
SIP request upon. The "routing-allowed" parameter
would need to be set to "yes" or the intermediary
would return a 424 with a Geolocation-Error
header value 302 "Permission to Route based on
Location Information". The UAC would then choose
whether or not to give permission (in a subsequent request).

>The geolocation header parameter value of
>"routing-allowed" can only be yes or no pointing to the whole PIDF-LO:
>
>[from -03]
>    The practical implication is that when the "routing-allowed"
>    parameter is set to "no", if a cid:url is present in the SIP
>    request, intermediaries MUST NOT view the location (because it is
>    not for intermediaries to view), and if a location URI is present,
>    intermediaries MUST NOT dereference it.  UAs are allowed to view
>    location in the SIP request even when the "routing-allowed"
>    parameter is set to "no".  An LR MUST by default consider the
>    "routing-allowed" header parameter as set to "no", with no
>    exceptions, unless the header field value is set to "yes".
>
>It seems to me that a better way is to allow
>geolocation URIs in numbers of 0, 1, or 2, so
>that you could elevate the Location URI up to
>the geolocation header and avoid all the
>difficulties of not knowing what location form
>was routable, plus escape the overhead of
>embedding it into an otherwise empty PIDF-LO when using LbyR exclusively.

if there is no cid-URL (meaning no PIDF-LO), the
one locationValue can be a location URI. This
also solves what your concerns are above, don't they?

James