Re: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Fri, 16 July 2010 06:54 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: Roger Marshall <RMarshall@telecomsys.com>, "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 02:54:26 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
x-ems-proccessed: R64IxjzeHPwwd+efoj3ZcA==
x-ems-stamp: WGUSaPd/ccE4+4OdO1k1cQ==
Subject: Re: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

In the corner case (and I do think it is a corner case) where multiple entities are contributing different location information to a single SIP request, I think we face a fundamental architecture choice in this mechanism: either it is SIP's job to sort out how we understand those different locations, or it is PIDF's job.  Traditionally, PIDF's understanding of different sources of presence that provide potentially contradictory information relies on the presence data model (RFC4479), which is designed to reconcile conditions like the one where my mobile phone thinks I am available but my desktop thinks I'm offline. The presence data model moreover differentiates between users, services and devices in a way that is useful and apparently applicable to location information. I am not eager to try to replicate this in SIP headers, including by inserting multiple such headers, putting in markup that tries to explain the "source" of location information in SIP headers, and so on. SIP's job should be to convey the location object - fundamentally, the further we diverge from "conveyance" and enter into the realm of "integration," the less comfortable I get.

I understand that the subsequent use case where there are different sources of location information, some of which are LbrV and some of which are LbyR, looks like a  hairy one. This is, however, a corner case of a corner case. I really do not feel comfortable justifying the allowance of multiple location headers in SIP pointing to different presence objects (as opposed to following the presence data model) to carry the 0, 1 or 2 different locations due to a corner case of a corner case. As I said in my previous mail to Martin, I'm not really sure I even understand the requirements for an intermediary to evaluate and reject LbyR, nor what the best way is for presence from these dynamic sources to be composed. If we were to investigate the right way for presence from those source to be composed, it might very well be that it is the responsibility of the compositor to insert an LbyR into the SIP request (into the Geolocation header), and to poll and compose a coherent PIDF document from its dynamic and static sources - that is probably the approach that most closely parallels the traditional approaches to presence. But we haven't even begun to explore this yet. No one insisting that there will be "empty" PIDF documents just containing references to external PIDF documents or something. Something along those lines is one approach of many that we would consider if we tried to figure out how to address this in PIDF. The question we need to decide, as I said above, is the architecture one - is SIP's job to convey PIDF documents, or to compose them?

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.