[sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Mon, 12 July 2010 23:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:55:06 -0500
To: sipcore@ietf.org
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

SIPCORE

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipcore-location-conveyance-03.txt

This version is a fairly radical departure from previous versions of
the (long standing) effort.  This time the doc didn't grow...

We added Jon Peterson as a co-author, and he helped in Anaheim
propose a significantly less complex way of specifying location
conveyance for SIP. More than 95% of the doc has been rewritten by
Jon and I, with a net result of 27 less pages of text (52 to 25 now).

We took out the terms and concepts of following parameters:

- inserter
- inserted-by
- used-for-routing
- host-id
- node-id

as well as limiting the number of locationValues to *ONE*, in a SIP request.

We removed the ability for SIP intermediaries to add location along
the way unbeknownst to the UAC (with one infrequently used
exception). In this way, location errors are only end-to-end, so
there is no need to identify which entity added location to make sure
the right entity reacted the right way when an error was caused by
the location they inserted, and not that of another entity's inserted
location (which is all very confusing).

We added the ability for a SIP intermediary to augment a location
with what the UAC should send in a subsequent request, and the
ability to verify this augmentation is present before successfully
processing that request. This is in line with both RFCs 4479 and 5491.

Comments are appreciated

James