Re: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net> Sun, 25 July 2010 18:53 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:53:23 -0400
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
Cc: sipcore@ietf.org, Martin Thomson <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

I was hoping this would settle out the right way, but alas....

First of all, I don't think value + reference from the same source is really all that important.  It can be accomplished with a reference that returns what the value would have been to unauthenticated dereferencers.  It's more efficient to use value+reference, but not by much.

However. in the end, I think (despite my being a coauthor), the mechanism in -03 is insufficient.  If you want to treat emergency call as a corner case, that is okay, but it's an important one.

I don't think intermediaries will 424 and ask the UAC to compose something they like.  I think they will drop the existing header and replace it with what they want it to be.

I think the requirement is either two PIDFs in one geolocation header, or or two parameters in one header.  That get us into "used for routing", but assuming the intermediary will 424 rather than replace is, in my opinion, fantasy.

Brian