Re: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Sun, 25 July 2010 13:33 UTC

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 07:02:13 -0500
To: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] location-conveyance-03 just submitted

At 06:00 AM 7/20/2010, Elwell, John wrote:
>James,
>
>These are questions for clarification at this stage, rather than comments.
>
>The ABNF for the Geolocation header field allows multiple
>locationValues and multiple routing-params, in any order. The text
>below seems to limit it to 0 or 1 locationValue and 0 or 1
>routing-param, and furthermore it limits it so that the
>routing-param must be last. It seems this could be expressed much
>more precisely, and still quite easily, in the ABNF. Of have I
>misunderstood something?

good catch! At this time (in -03) there is only one Geolocation
header, so there is no need to look further for a "no".

>Although the text "The Geolocation header field has zero or one
>locationValue, but
>    MUST NOT contain more than one locationValue."
>limits the header field to having a maximum of one locationValue,
>text further down "another
>    instance of the Geolocation header"
>suggests that there can be multiple instances of the header field
>and hence multiple locationValues.

this is the same catch as above - and there is only one locationValue
currently.

>So a request can contain multiple locationValues, but not in the
>same header field instance. Is this really what is intended?
>
>Unrelated to the above, concerning the text:
>"Other URI schemas used in the location URI MUST be reviewed against
>    the RFC 3693 [RFC3693] criteria for a Using Protocol"
>Who must review? The protocol implementer? How is this testable?

The Geopriv "Using Protocol" is from the original requirements doc
from SIPPING, which is now the appendix here. It comes from RFC 3693,
which Geopriv is going to revise eventually with their Geopriv Arch
ID, that removes the use of this term.  Geopriv Arch is only an
update to 3693, and not a replacement, meaning 3693 will remain
actively appropriate, so I'm kinda caught with which to align with.

James