Re: [Slim] Issue #27 on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Thu, 27 April 2017 15:20 UTC

To: Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>, slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:19:17 +0200
Subject: Re: [Slim] Issue #27 on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

The text in draft version -08 related to issue #27 has changed a lot
since the version commented in LC.

It is currently:

"5.4.  Undefined Combinations

    With the exception of the case mentioned in Section 5.2 (a spoken
    language tag for a video stream in parallel with an audio stream with
    the same spoken language tag), the behavior when specifying a spoken/
    written language tag for a video media stream, or a signed language
    tag for an audio or text media stream, is not defined."

The referenced part of section 5.2 says:

"   Note that while signed language tags are used with a video stream to
    indicate sign language, a spoken language tag for a video stream in
    parallel with an audio stream with the same spoken language tag
    indicates a request for a supplemental video stream to see the
    speaker."

I think that is close to what we want. But we need to have decisions on
if it is exactly what we want.

Points for decision:

1. Can we use the term "a spoken/written language tag" in 5.4? Addison
Phillips did not like our use of that term in another paragraph, now
reworded. I suggest to replace it with "a language tag used for a spoken
or written language" and hope that is easier to accept.  However with my
solution proposal for point 3 below, this problem disappears.

2. Are we satisfied with the solution that we cannot indicate use of
text captions embedded in the video stream? It was long ago that I saw
conversational products placing the text captions or text dialogue
overlayed in the video stream. It is still in heavy use for streaming.
So, if we do not believe that our specification will be used for
streaming services, I think we are satisfied with the current
limitation.  We had a proposal to always use the -Zxxx script subtag
when we mean spoken modality, and usually no script subtag (or a
specific script subtag when motivated for the languag when we mean a
written modality, but there were some reluctance to that use of the
-Zxxx script subtag for this purpose.
I suggest that we are happy with the current limitation, but want to
hear others' views.

3. Are we satisfied with the limitation described in the section 5.2
citation, requiring a spoken language tag used for the video stream to
mean a view of a speaking person only if an audio stream has the same
language tag assigned. I think that limitation is not needed and
complicates the use.

Conclusion:

With my proposed resolutions on these points, we should change the two
paragraphs cited above to:

"5.4.  Undefined Combinations

    The behavior when specifying a language tag for a written language for
    a video media stream, or a signed language tag for an audio or text
media
    stream, is not defined."

The referenced part of section is then proposed to be:

"   Note that while signed language tags are used with a video stream to
    indicate sign language, a spoken language tag for a video stream
    indicates the view of a speaking person in the video stream."

If other than my proposals on the points are decided, the wording needs
to be adjusted accordingly.

/Gunnar