Re: [Softwires] comments on draft-carpenter-softwire-sample-00

Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com> Tue, 28 September 2010 19:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:57:43 +0200
From: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
To: softwires@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Softwires] comments on draft-carpenter-softwire-sample-00

> On 2010-09-28 15:09, Yiu L. Lee wrote:
>> Hi Washam,
>>
>> Don't forget there are also Softwire Hub-and-Spoke (L2TPv2 based) and 6rd+.
>> So far, we don't hear much response to support this work in the operator's
>> community.
>
> One reason is that the smaller, more agile ISPs with problems
> in this area are simply figuring out how to deal with Teredo,
> e.g. with Tui boxes, http://www.braintrust.co.nz/tui/

Oh yeah, that one too.

> IMNSHO, cumbersome solutions like L2TPv2 will only appeal to telco-like
> operators.

L2TP is often the NNI which allows a challenger ISP to setup service to
subscribers where the "telco-like" incumbent owns the physical layer (in
particular for remote locations where co-location might not be a
reasonable option). So, it ends up in a lot of different types of ISPs,
even those that do not have PPP anywhere else. The one place where it
almost never ends up is at a DOCSIS cable operator, which is where I
hear most of the resistance to its introduction.

L2TP would and should lose a beauty contest with a brand new protocol
created today (surely we would have learned something in 15 years!).
However, on the concentrator side, virtually every SP vendor has an LNS
offering, alongside open source options if you want to go that route. On
the client side, it is in a number of RGs, pretty much every host OS,
not to mention your iPhone, iPad, Android... It's everywhere. Why not
just use it? PPP isn't *that* hard.

- Mark