Re: [Softwires] comments on draft-carpenter-softwire-sample-00

Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com> Wed, 29 September 2010 07:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:53:43 +0200
From: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
To: softwires@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Softwires] comments on draft-carpenter-softwire-sample-00

On 9/29/10 7:30 AM, WashamFan wrote:
> Hi Remi,
>
> Personally, I think it is very meaningful to address tunneling
> IPv6 over IPv4 with NAT traversal issue, especially in China.
> We have less IPv4 address space assigned at the first place,
> compared to the huge population, the address per person
> ratio is very low, I suspect some ISPs have already deployed
> some kind of NATs somewhere in their network. (As myself,
> I got 10/8 from my provider). In the other hand, we bought
> CPE outselves, the ISP can not control the CPES most of
> time, I am afraid.

There are still plenty of providers in the US and EU that sell service
without control of the CPE. For newer "3-play" DSL and FTTH service it
is trending more towards an SP-provided CPE, but there is still plenty
of consumer-purchased CPE out there.

I think in 2011 you are going to see more and more 6rd with the DHCP
option on products that you can buy from your local electronics stores.
If the SP sets up a BR and offers the DHCP option, 6rd should work
reasonably well even with consumer purchased CPE.

> That is very different from that in Europe
> or America, I guess. My impression is, from my experience
> surfing the Internet, I would go thru one layer NAT (deployed
> by my provider in my residential building) and a 192.168
> network (somewhere in the SP network) before I hit the
> Internet finally.

If you add your own NAT in your apartment, that's at least 3 levels of
NAT...

> When my ISP is going to provide IPv6 to me, let's say,
> 6rd as the first step, the existing complex network arch would
> hinder the classic 6rd deployed.

...That many levels of NAT is a hindrance for the SP to deploy just
about anything.

I have one important question here: Are you looking for a solution that
you can convince your provider to deploy and support, or something that
you can setup independent of your provider? Given the situation, it
sounds to me like more of the latter.

- Mark