Re: [ledbat] list of reasons for needing multiple TCP connections

Murari Sridharan <muraris@microsoft.com> Tue, 25 November 2008 21:04 UTC

From: Murari Sridharan <muraris@microsoft.com>
To: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>, Stanislav Shalunov <shalunov@shlang.com>, "Andrew G. Malis" <agmalis@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:04:01 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ledbat@ietf.org" <ledbat@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ledbat] list of reasons for needing multiple TCP connections
Sender: ledbat-bounces@ietf.org

-----Original Message-----
From: ledbat-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:ledbat-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Reinaldo Penno
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 3:55 PM
To: Stanislav Shalunov; Andrew G. Malis
Cc: ledbat@ietf.org

Hello Stas,

On 11/24/08 3:28 PM, "Stanislav Shalunov" <shalunov@shlang.com> wrote:

> We do need to cover the impact on middleboxes in the document -- it's
> in the charter.
>
> Popular applications are made to work with existing middleboxes.
> Middleboxes are made to work with existing popular apps which do open
> couple hundred of (mostly idle) TCP connections.  Home NATs
> ("routers") don't generally crash when you run BitTorrent.  The
> "mostly idle" part doesn't matter for state consumption, naturally.

Why not? A middlebox that offers NAT/FW has to keep track of all connections
irrespective if they are mostly idle.

[MS] I think most NATs aggressively reuse stale mappings and if your protocol relies on this mapping for connectivity, it would fail, we routinely see this with Teredo where the address/ external port would change unless you keep a periodic bubble to keep the mapping up.

> Thousands and tens of thousands of connections (UDP state counts) is
> another matter.  Making one DNS request per every swarm member you
> learn about will overwhelm a few common devices for large enough
> swarms.  (There are client behavior extensions that use DNS requests
> to learn about locations of peers.)  In general, scanning-type
> behavior is problematic.

Interesting, but usually middleboxes age UDP entries very quickly (specially
quickly if they have ALGs). So, TCP and UDP have the dealt differently.