Re: [trill] New version : TRILL Smart Endnodes draft

Phanidhar Koganti <pkoganti@Brocade.COM> Wed, 09 January 2013 04:32 UTC

From: Phanidhar Koganti <pkoganti@Brocade.COM>
To: Radia Perlman <radiaperlman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:32:40 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "d3e3e3@gmail.com" <d3e3e3@gmail.com>, "Kesava_Vijaya_Krupak@Dell.com" <Kesava_Vijaya_Krupak@dell.com>, "hu.fangwei@zte.com.cn" <hu.fangwei@zte.com.cn>, "trill@ietf.org" <trill@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [trill] New version : TRILL Smart Endnodes draft

Thanks Radia. That clarifies for me. A more descriptive text in draft can surely help vendors as they implement it in their hardware.

Another question on handling multi-homing
E can choose either R1 or R2's nickname, when encapsulating a
       frame, whether the encapsulated frame is sent via R1 or R2. If E
       wants to do active-active load splitting, and uses R1's nickname
       when forwarding through R1, and R2's nickname when forwarding
       through R2, this will cause distant RBridges (or smart endnodes)
       to keep changing their endnode table entry for D between (D, R1's
       nickname) and (D, R2's nickname). So it would be preferable for E
       to always encapsulate using the same nickname (R1 or R2) unless E
       detects a problem with connectivity using that nickname. And in
       this case, R1 and R2 need to be informed that the smart endnode
       might encapsulate with a different nickname, i.e., R1 might
       receive an encapsulated packet from smart endnode E using ingress
       nickname "R2".

If the smart endnode uses either R1 or R2 in the above example, would we have TRILL RPF issues where upstream RBs see a packet with SRB=say R1 coming from a wrong TRILL port? Let's say the RPF happens for multicast only then we will atleast need to make sure the multicast (broadcast, unknown unicast and multcast) is sent via the edge-RB whose RBID the smart endnode is using.

This problem should not be there when using different RBID other than R1 and R2 as described in approach-2

Phani