Re: [urn] [apps-discuss] URNs are not URIs (another look at RFC 3986)

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Fri, 18 April 2014 01:42 UTC

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:44:32 +1000
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Cc: "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, urn@ietf.org, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] [apps-discuss] URNs are not URIs (another look at RFC 3986)

I have to say that I'm sympathetic to the proposed outcomes, albeit for different reasons, perhaps.

We have two communities using a shared artefact (URIs) with vastly differing use cases and viewpoints about them. Managing this situation has already proven extremely difficult for the IETF, and it seems to me to be very pragmatic to cease forcing them to co-exist, constantly bickering about angels dancing on pins.

While people don't want to consider it in-scope for this discussion, I also think that doing so will make the situation with WHATWG and W3C more manageable.

Cheers,