Re: [Uta] opportunistic keying / encryption considered of dubious value

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 17 March 2014 14:56 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:56:09 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>, Yan Zhu <yan@eff.org>
Cc: uta@ietf.org, Leif Johansson <leifj@mnt.se>
Subject: Re: [Uta] opportunistic keying / encryption considered of dubious value

Keith,

Please point out *anywhere* that I have said that passive
attacks are the only thing to worry about, or where I have
said that pervasive monitoring is the only attack to worry
about. You will not find that since I have repeatedly said
the opposite. PM is one more thing to worry about, but is
one where we've (security eggheads like me) previously not
done a very good job. That plus the news fully explains the
current focus. And that's blatantly obvious.

And (hopefully) lastly, I have no clue as to why you started
this thread if you believe that "Absolutely we do know that
ciphertext, even between unauthenticated parties, is better
than plaintext." OK/OE-has-value follows immediately from
that.

S.