Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-host-addr-availability discussion

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Mon, 02 November 2015 10:51 UTC

To: v6ops@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 19:51:06 +0900
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-host-addr-availability discussion

Hello,

I do agree with the idea in the draft and I fully support its advancement.

Lorenzo said several times, and the abstract is clear, that the
recommendation is to not limit the number of addresses are 'provided' to
general-purposes hosts.  I fully agree with the intent in general.

But because SLAAC is what it is, a network does not 'provide' an address
to the host.  Worse, it is because of SLAAC universally assumed that the
end result may look that only one address is provided to the host.

If SLAAC were not what it is, or if it were not that widely adopted,
then the network could safely assume it 'provided' 2^64 addresses to a
host when it set a prefixlen 64 in a RA.

For example, the draft says:
>    In most general-purpose IPv6 networks, including all 3GPP networks
>    (see [RFC6459] section 5.2) and Ethernet and Wi-Fi networks using
>    SLAAC [RFC4862], IPv6 hosts have the ability to configure additional
>    IPv6 addresses from the link prefix(es) without explicit requests to
>    the network.

YEs.  But this does not mean that it is good that a 3GPP network gives
only one /64 to an UE.  This is not a good recommendation.

The right recommendation is the following:

"in a 3GPP network which uses exclusively SLAAC for IPv6 address
  configuration on the UE the network must not limit its ability to set
  multiple distinct IPv6 prefixes in a RA to the UE.  By default there
  should be two."

(other criteria are: in any access network which uses ptp links with
next-hop as an address rather than a '*' in the forwarding entry for the
general-purpose host, and exclusively SLAAC)

Also, at the following place:

OLD:
>    Example of how the availability of multiple addresses per host has
>    already allowed substantial deployment of new applications without
>    explicit requests to the network are:
[...]
>    o  /64 sharing [RFC7278].  This was a way to provide IPv6 tethering
>       without needing to wait for network operators to deploy DHCPv6 PD,
>       which is only available in 3GPP release 10.

This is not a good example either.  One wouldn't give an INFORMATIONAL
document as a recommendation to follow.

I suggest the following NEW:

    An example of how the availability of multiple addresses per host has
    already stimulated successful new applications:
[...]
    o  tethering.  In tethering a UE such as a smartphone connects
       several IP devices on its LAN through the access network and to
       the Internet.  This is realized with DHCPv6-PD [AERO] or some
       other techniques like "/64 sharing" [RFC7278] or other forms of
       bridging.

Alex