Re: [v6ops] Comments to draft-mlevy-v6ops-auto-v6-allocation-per-asn

"Ackermann, Michael" <MAckermann@bcbsm.com> Thu, 21 February 2013 04:44 UTC

From: "Ackermann, Michael" <MAckermann@bcbsm.com>
To: Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com>, Bill Jouris <bill.jouris@insidethestack.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 04:44:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.64.10.35]
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Comments to draft-mlevy-v6ops-auto-v6-allocation-per-asn

This is very similar to something we were exploring in the Medical/Insurance realms.   That is using IPV6 addresses for  entities/artifacts such as Claim or Subscriber numbers.    ARIN did not like that as rationale for additional or larger address space as alluded by Owen below.      But similar approaches are  being considered in multiple industries.

Why would that be preferred over MAC & SLAAC?    Not sure at this point as this is still being explored.  but possibly being more predictable, controlled and self documenting?