Re: [v6ops] Comments to draft-mlevy-v6ops-auto-v6-allocation-per-asn

Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com> Thu, 21 February 2013 01:45 UTC

From: Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:45:10 -0800
To: Bill Jouris <bill.jouris@insidethestack.com>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Comments to draft-mlevy-v6ops-auto-v6-allocation-per-asn

Bill

I think that sums it up reasonably well. However, if they come back to the RIR for more space and try to use having put a bunch of numbers on VINs/Cars addressed by VIN that are not actually networked to the company using a network that topologically matches the numbering
scheme, then, the RIR should rightly count those addresses as not utilized in determining eligibility for additional space.

If you feel that some sort of recommendation to SAE is worth while, go for it. Personally, I don't understand the need for a car to have a permanently assigned prefix rather than just a MAC address and then get its prefix through SLAAC or get its addressing via DHCP.

If someone can explain this, I am open to being better convinced.

Owen