Re: [v6ops] IPv6 Extension Headers in the Real World

Merike Kaeo <kaeo@merike.com> Wed, 01 October 2014 20:41 UTC

From: Merike Kaeo <kaeo@merike.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:40:53 -0700
To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Cc: "draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world@tools.ietf.org" <draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world@tools.ietf.org>, IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>, V6ops Chairs <v6ops-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] IPv6 Extension Headers in the Real World

On Oct 1, 2014, at 1:33 PM, Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Earlier in September we published a revision of our I-D "IPv6 Extension
>> Headers in the Real World"
>> (<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world>).
>>
>> At this point in time, we're interested in knowing whether our I-D is of
>> value for the IPv6 ops community, such that we can decide whether to
>> continue working/improving it.
>
> Yes please!
>
> Burying our heads in the sand and pretending that they all work fine
> in no way helps with V6 deployment.
>
> Having users and operators get burnt because they didn't know about
> issues with EH simply leads to people turning off v6 - once bitten,
> twice shy…

Might I may a recommendation to also include IPsec wg for some of this discussion and/or mobility
groups.  They are the *only* EH that I know that in the real world might actually be used.  Most
specifically the RH EH Type2 that's used in mobile environments and then the AH/ESP for IPsec.

You may want reach *customers* who are not necessarily 'operators' who are utilizing the EHs.

Just a suggestion :)  The biggest PITA for all vendors are EH….it's my litmus test for all vendors
to see if they REALLY have an IPv6 implementation.

Caveat - I haven't kept up with this work….will try and read latest draft in next few days

- merike