Re: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> Mon, 26 March 2007 10:39 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 03:39:09 -0700
From: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: Antoin Verschuren <Antoin.Verschuren@sidn.nl>
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine
Cc: 68attendees@ietf.org

Antoin Verschuren wrote:
> Andy Bierman wrote:
>> The level of de-humanization, indifference, mixed in with
>> incompetence and economic pressures, has reached a new high,
>> or rather a new low.  Unless you are very rich, the sir travel
>> experience
>> is just something you have to endure to go to an IETF.
>> (My carrier's employees seemed united in their quest to mess up at
>> every step. I hope I get my luggage back someday.)
>>
>> As much as I like having the IETF near Los Angeles often,
>> it is clearly not fair to many other in the IETF, especially
>> in Europe and Asia.
>
> I aggree fully here.
> I think it's a simple answer of "share the burden fair".
> Do 3 different continents a year to give everyone an equal opportunity
> to attend, and equal burden of getting there.
>
> It might also help to decrease the number of ignorant mails on this
> lists that sugest that culture outside North America is strange by
> default.
> It helps people from that area to remind that others might have the same
> view about their own habbits and learn there is an outside world for
> everyone that should be taken into considderation when cooperating in
> something global as the IETF.

Actually, I think we should leave it to the IAD to come up with
the plan to establish fairness, and the IETF Chair to decide if
it isn't.

IMO, the interval over which fairness is measured has to be longer
than one year to allow more flexibility for all the meeting logistics
we already discussed to death.  I would pick 3 years.  (I wonder
how how we have rated on your 3 continent test over an
overlapping 9 meeting interval?)

My main point is that it is not just travel budget that is
being shared unequally by having so many meeting in North America.

(2 more cents -- as great as Prague was, I would rather stick
to hub cities like London.)

> Antoin Verschuren
> SIDN

Andy