Re: Email Subaddressing

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> Fri, 01 August 1997 00:17 UTC

From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:51:45 -0700
To: ietf-822@imc.org
Subject: Re: Email Subaddressing
Sender: owner-ietf-822@imc.org

On Jul 31, 11:20pm, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> Subject: Re: Email Subaddressing
> > All this does is push the question off a level.  Is it desirable to be
> > able to mix and match MTA, delivery agent, and submission agent?
>
> qmail was designed to support multiple delivery agents and submission
> agents.  [...]
>
> sendmail can also invoke a variety of delivery agents [...]
>
> When a delivery agent supports subaddresses---as, e.g., procmail does---
> both qmail and (recent versions of) sendmail can straightforwardly pass
> the necessary information to it.

That's nice, but that's not the question.  The question is whether I can
take qmail or sendmail or any other MTA, use arbitary delivery agent X and
arbitrary submission agent Y, and expect that both X and Y understand the
same format of subaddresses.

The present-day answer is obviously "no."  Is there any way to make the
answer be "yes" other than standardizing the format subaddresses?