Re: Email Subaddressing

"D. J. Bernstein" <djb@koobera.math.uic.edu> Fri, 01 August 1997 19:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 18:33:04 -0000
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@koobera.math.uic.edu>
To: ietf-822@imc.org
Subject: Re: Email Subaddressing
Sender: owner-ietf-822@imc.org

> If agents wish to constrain from addresses to fight spoofing or whatever but
> allow subaddress editing, they can't do it because there is no uniformity of
> subadressing.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The agent can rely on local configuration to
decide which addresses are permitted for each user.

My ``addalias'' program, published in 1993, does exactly this. An MUA
that reads the addalias configuration file for From control will follow
the same rules.

> I'm not sure if the benefits warrant standardization but I don't accept
> your arguments by dogmatic assertion:

And I don't accept yours. The difference is that my arguments are
supported by facts.

> Standarizing things has benefits and costs.

But standardizing user interfaces, no matter how beneficial, is none of
the IETF's business.

> I don't know where you get this idea that IETF standards are requirements.

What are you talking about? I said ``document... requiring that all MTAs
and LDAs work the same way.''

---Dan
Set up a new mailing list in a single command. http://pobox.com/~djb/ezmlm.html