Re: [Acme] Considerations about ACME BoF

Scott Rea <Scott.Rea@DigiCert.com> Tue, 31 March 2015 08:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:22:15 -0600
From: Scott Rea <Scott.Rea@DigiCert.com>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>, acme@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Acme] Considerations about ACME BoF

G'day Yaron,

I will make 2 brief observations:

a) Max and I actually proposed some usability focused work around TLS
certs to the PKIX WG about 6 or 7 years ago, when PKIX was still going
strong, and we were told that usability is not the purvey of IETF, its
purely bits on the wire. So when did IETF morph from bits on the wire to
now include usability?

b) Getting a server certificate for a cloud server within seconds, and
with no manual intervention is possible today with a little scripting on
the server and an appropriate API from one of the existing CAs. If your
current provider cannot do that for you, then I suggest you shop around
a little.

Regards,
_Scott

--
Scott Rea, MSc, CISSP
VP GOV/EDU Relations & Sr. PKI Architect

Em Scott@DigiCert.com
Ph#(801) 701-9636
Ce#(801) 874-4114