RE: [bmwg] Is the BMWG a proper home for this I-D?ch

Jim McQuaid <jim.mcquaid@netiq.com> Tue, 05 October 2004 18:30 UTC

From: Jim McQuaid <jim.mcquaid@netiq.com>
To: 'Russ White' <riw@cisco.com>, sporetsky@quarrytech.com
Subject: RE: [bmwg] Is the BMWG a proper home for this I-D?ch
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:16:57 -0000
Cc: hcb@gettcomm.com, bmwg@ietf.org
Sender: bmwg-bounces@ietf.org

This thread is tending toward the "polemic."  I suggest we all obtain and
read the current charters for the WGs in question.  A charter can always be
amended, but it's a good starting point.

I think the issue isn't so much "real world networks" versus "lab networks."
The original IPPM / BMWG split might be better thought of in terms of
audience.  IPPM was for network operators & planners.  BMWG was one element
of that, of course, but clearly *was* started with an eye toward providing a
standard to replace manufacturers marketing claims back at the start of the
router wars, so it was element-oriented and somewhat more enterprise useful
compared to network operator useful.

Jim McQuaid

NetIQ