Re: [codec] Skype IPR disclosure

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org> Sun, 28 March 2010 18:13 UTC

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:13:40 -0700
From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
To: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
Cc: Codec WG <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] Skype IPR disclosure

On 03/28/2010 10:13 AM, Stephan Wenger wrote:
> Hi Marc, all,
>
> The article you linked is IMO a useful thing to read for those who do not
> know how to study patents.  But, please understand, it is really 101 level.
> There are many, many subtleties when interpreting claim language, and this
> is an ever-evolving field, just as technical codec design is,
>
> The article is written from an US law perspective, but that's IMHO alright,
> considering where the majority of the patent litigation is ongoing today.
> The business situation addressed is clearly that of an open source
> developer, not that of a multi-national corporation, but you indicated that
> in your posting already.
>
> Commenting on your own post, there are two key problems in your logic about
> the non-issue of willful infringement (which many people inadequately
> circumscribe as "triple damages"--triple damages are a consequence of
> willful infringement, but not the root cause.)
>
> The first flaw, as I perceive it, is that your (and your employer's)
> exposure to the patent is not restricted to your work in this working group.
> It may come haunt you on past and future projects, and on anything you are
> doing in parallel with the work here, as well.  That may be a non-issue if
> the work in the codec WG is a hobby of yours, but if you are a codec
> professional, it is something to consider.

Well, this is not new for professional developers.  E.g. as a former Java
Licensee, I cannot contribute to the Apache Harmony project.  C'est la vie.

> Second, there is also the issue of statuary rights under patent law.
> Especially in the open source community, but also in other standardization
> and implementation circles, individuals tend to worry mostly about patent
> rights being violated by "implementing".  This corresponds to the "make"
> category in patent law.  However, the (US-) patent law also allows to
> exclude others from the "use" and "sell" of a patented invention (the
> formulation in other jurisdictions vary, but are generally similarly wide as
> in the US).  Arguably, if your employer (through your participation here)
> learns of a patent today, and your employer is currently selling products
> containing another codec that is encumbered by the patent right, and a bunch
> of other conditions are met, then willful infringement may trigger.
>
> The business decision to study patents is, of course, up to you (and
> possibly to your employer).  If your goal is the design of a freely
> practicable codec, it could be helpful to do so.  My guess is, though, that
> the risk/benefit equation is very different between different employers,
> even if they are of similar size.  That's why I'm arguing so strongly to
> give people a chance stay ignorant and out of patent discussions.

I think that there is a problem here.  Let's say that the CODEC's codec
algorithm uses a specific technique, let's call it "T".  I then discover that T
is patented.  I can (and will) fill a third party IPR disclosure.  People in the
mailing-list will know about this but cannot discuss it, according to what you
are saying.  OK, then I propose a modification to the specification to replace T
by T'.  According to you I still cannot discuss why T' is better than T, because
it is not a technical argument.  Let's say that people got a clue and decide to
put T' in the specification instead of T.  According to you we still cannot say
in the specification that T' is here because even if T seems obvious (a common
characteristic of all things patented) we cannot use it.  Now 5 years from now,
someone wanting to implement the specification has no idea why it is so complex,
because the reason is not in the spec and not in the mailing-list archives.

How is that not fundamentally broken?

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: marc@petit-huguenin.org