Re: [dhcwg] Interface

Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@eng.sun.com> Thu, 20 September 2001 17:25 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:11:37 +0200
From: Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@eng.sun.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Interface
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@nominum.com>
Cc: Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@eng.sun.com>, "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, "'Guja, ArturX'" <ArturX.Guja@intel.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

> > But that's beside the point - which is to not overconstrain the spec
> > with MUSTs that aren't quite true.
>
> The point is to come up with a working, implementable protocol
> definition, that does not only work if you happen to be running
> 802.3ad in a certain obscure implementation.

Ted,

the tone of your statement reads like an attack on a particular unnamed
implementation.  I certainly did not describe an existing implementation -
in fact I have no idea whether there exists an IEEE 802.3ad that does what
I described. (And the whole mention about implementation was in response to
a question whether there was an automatic way for hosts to determine that
multiple interfaces are connected to the same link.) Sigh :-(

What I did point out is that the IPv6 architecture allows multiple interfaces
connected to the same link. That is the real issue.

> Most implementors will not run into the corner case you've just
> described, but those same implementors have a pretty good chance of
> producing a non-interoperable client implementation if that MUST isn't
> there.  In the corner case you've described, unless I am very much
> mistaken, the MUST will _not_ cause a problem.  So the MUST should
> stay.

I don't think MUSTs are intended to prescribe rules for a subset of
the implementations - their original use was to describe (often subtle)
things that implementors had overlooked in the past that caused rather bad
things to the network (such a broadcast storms).
Today MUSTs are used to make firm statements for behavior
that applies to all implementations.

So you seem to be describing a case where a SHOULD applies. RFC 2119:
3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

Alternatively text along the lines of this makes sense
	"... MUST (unless where the client has multiple interfaces connected to
	the same link [SCOPING-ARCH] in which case the ... MUST be for one
	of the interfaces connected to the same link) ..."

  Erik