Re: [dhcwg] Incorporation of WG last call comments in draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-06.txt

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Wed, 26 September 2001 17:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:45:25 -0400
To: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Incorporation of WG last call comments in draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-06.txt
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

My comments are in line...

- Ralph

At 07:00 AM 9/26/2001 -0700, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> > Main item is that it has a normative reference to
> >
> > > [7]  Lemon, T., "Encoding Long DHCP Options", Internet draft (work in
> > >      progress), draft-ietf-dhc-concat-01.txt, July 2001.
> >
> > so these two document should go together.
>
>Not sure the reference is normative. This option can use the long option
>encoding if available, but doesn't require it.

Agreed; in fact, I think you could eliminate references to
the long option encoding draft w/o harming your spec...

> > Some minor wording nits (these can be dealt with later):
> >
> > > the domain search list.  This document defines a new DHCP option which
> > > is passed from the DHCP Server to the DHCP Client to specify the domain
> > > search list when resolving hostnames.
> >
> > Is the option allowed to be included in client messages? I would
> > assume so. Indeed, isn't it the case that clients can include any
> > option if to signal a desire to the server to get such an option
> > returned? If so, I guess this isn't really an issue.
>
>Yes, that's my understanding.

Perhaps it would be easiest to change the sentence to: This document
defines a new DHCP option that specifies the domain search list
to be used by a DHCP client when resolving hostnames.